White House drafts memo defending Afghanistan withdrawal

NewYou can listen to Fox News articles now!

A spokesman for President Biden’s National Security Council issued a memo this week defending the administration. Withdraw from AfghanistanAccording to a copy of the document obtained by Fox News Digital, the president “rejected another generation of Americans from fighting a war that should have ended long ago.”

As Republicans on the House Foreign Affairs Committee prepare to release a report criticizing the withdrawal, the administration is accusing the administration of failing to expel some US-trained Afghan military personnel and potentially posing a major national security threat.

Residence of the President of the United States The memo called the Republican review a “biased report” that is “full of mischaracterizations, cherry-picked information and false claims.”

“Bringing our troops home strengthens our national security and better positions us to face future challenges and puts the United States in a stronger position to lead the world,” said National Security Council spokeswoman Adrienne Watson, who worked for the Democratic National Committee and joined the White House last year. Before Hillary Clinton’s 2016 presidential campaign, the report wrote.

“They broke free Up serious armyintelligence and other resources to ensure we are better equipped to respond to today’s threats to international peace and stability.”

Axios originally reported on the memo’s circulation.

Father of Slain Marines speaks out on ‘chaotic’ situation in Afghanistan

The Taliban quickly seized Afghanistan’s capital Kabul and other major cities 12 months ago as US forces prepared to withdraw on Biden’s order by the end of August 2021, the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, which were largely planned for Afghanistan. The soil when the Taliban last controlled the country.

Inherited the agreement made by the President Trump administration That called for a full withdrawal by May 2021, but Biden pushed that date back to April 2021.

A White House memo took aim at that deal, partially blaming the Trump administration for the botched withdrawal.

“Former President Trump’s 2020 deal with the Taliban empowered the Taliban, weakened our partners in the Afghan government, and committed to withdrawing our forces months after President Biden’s inauguration — with no clear plan for what to do next,” a National Security Council spokesperson wrote in the report.

The CIA targeted al-Zawahri alone on his balcony after months of surveillance, creating a ‘pattern of his life’

Thousands of Afghans rush to Kabul’s airport as US troops prepare to withdraw. A suicide bomber 20 pounds of explosives were detonated near the airport During the chaos, 13 US troops and 170 others were killed.

Click here to get the Fox News app

Texas Republican Rep. Michael McCaul, the ranking member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, accused the White House of ignoring warnings from the intelligence community about the imminent collapse of Afghan forces in an interview with CBS on Sunday.

“The intelligence community got it right,” McCall told CBS News. “The problem was the White House and … the State Department had their heads in the sand, didn’t want to believe what they were saying, and so there wasn’t enough planning.”

Reuters contributed to this report.

Source link

Leave a Comment