Trump team weighs releasing Mar-a-Lago search warrant, inventory, video and photos

Former President Donald Trump’s legal team is considering whether to issue a search warrant and list of contents Seized at Mar-a-Lago before a federal judge ruled on the matter, according to Trump’s Florida-based attorney, Lindsay Halligan.

Earlier on Thursday, Attorney General Merrick Garland announced that The Justice Department had filed a petition to quash the warrant and related documents, “Absentee Objections from Former Presidents.” Trump has until 3pm on Friday to respond.

His legal team is also debating whether to release videos and photos of the search, Halligan said. Two sources familiar with Trump’s legal strategy said he asked for Mar-a-Lago’s private security cameras to be turned off before FBI agents could execute the warrant. Trump’s team refused to comply.

The US Secret Service, which maintains a permanent presence at the former president’s home, was not a party to the controversy over the cameras because the private club owns and controls the cameras, not the government.

It’s unclear what any video captured by Mar-a-Lago’s cameras would show. According to Halligan, there were security cameras in Trump’s office, but not in all the areas that were searched. She also said there were photos of FBI personnel on the field.

The former president’s legal team has a copy of the search warrant and a “vague” accounting of what was taken, according to two sources. The search warrants have been described to CBS News by sources as “bare bones” documents that provide few details about why they were issued or what the FBI sought.

Many of the items seized in the search were listed generically as “boxes” or “documents” — for example, “Box 1 – Documents.”

The president’s lawyers plan to ask the government for a detailed accounting of what was removed, as well as what arguments the government made to federal magistrates to support the warrant. So far, Trump’s attorneys are not planning legal action to compel the production of the items.

The government did not provide Trump’s lawyers with the underlying affidavit for the search warrant, which is standard practice.

inside Late night post On his social media site, former President Trump said he would not oppose the issuance of the warrants and was in fact “encouraging the release” of documents related to what he called “American, excessive and unnecessary raids and break-ins.” My house in Palm Beach.”



Source link

Leave a Comment